NMU Drops Battle of U.P.

MARQUETTE, Mich. – A national television audience and a record-breaking crowd was on hand Thursday night at the Superior Dome for the clash between the Northern Michigan University Wildcats and the Huskies from Michigan Tech. CBS College Sports Network beamed the game nationally while a crowd of 8,672 was on hand to see the game. The crowd breaks the old record of 8,432 set on Oct. 5, 1991.
NMU held a 14-13 lead after 30 minutes of play. But the Huskies came back in the second half to score 34 points for the 47-21 victory. The Miner's Cup heads back to Houghton until next year. NMU falls to 1-2 overall and in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) while MTU improves to 3-1 and 2-1 respectively.
The 'Cats struck first on an 18-yard pass from Ben Hempel to Dan Elmore at 4:49 of the first quarter. Anthony Leandri booted the extra points and the 'Cats held a 7-0 lead. MTU did not waste mush time as they scored on the first play after the kickoff on a 67-yard pass from Steve Short to Keith White just six seconds after NMU scored. The game was now tied at seven -all. 
MTU added two field goals in the second quarter to take the 13-7 lead. Tyler Cattelino connected from 19 (9:50) and 24 yards (2:41). With less than a minute left before the half, NMU used a big play from Hempel to Elmore as they connected for an 81-yard strike to take the one point lead (14-13) with the good extra point.  
The third quarter was all Phil Milbrath as he scored three times. He scored from 10 (11:49), eight (5:33) and 70 yards (2:48). At the end of three quarters of play the Huskies held a 34-14 lead.
Zach Nichols caught a 26-yard pass from Carter Kopach at 13:38 of the final quarter to cut the MTU lead 34-21 with the good extra point. MTU added two more scores to put the game away. Milbrath scored his fourth touchdown of the night on an eight-yard burst with 7:54 left in the game, the kick failed and the Huskies were now up 40-21. MTU"s final score came on an 80-yard interception return by Robert Haynes.
The 'Cats tallied 365 yards of total offense for the game as 282 of the yards came in the air while 83 were on the ground. MTU had 470 yards of total offense (228 yards on the ground and 242 in the air). Mark Bossuah was limited to 96 yards on 19 carries. NMU used two quarterbacks with Hempel starting as he ended the night with 150 yards on 7-15-0. Kopach came in relief and was 13-25-1 for 132 yards. Nichols hauled in nine passes for 85 yards. Elmore had three catches for 108 yards.
Milbrath led all rushers with 189 yards on 32 carries. Short ended the night at 13-17-0 for 242 yards. White led the Huskies with 158 yards on five catches.
Nathan Yelk with12 total tackles (six solo and six assisted) led the NMU defense. Ricky Neaves registered the lone sack on the night as he ended the contest with six total tackles (three solo and three assisted). Zach Gauthier tallied nine total tackles (four solo and five assisted).
NMU will be at Ferris State for its next game. The 'Cats face the Bulldogs on Saturday, Sept. 27.